Sunday, May 8, 2011

37-week checkup

And I was 50% effaced, no dilation. (The appointment was actually just 2 days shy of the 38-week mark.) I also now have very puffy hands and feet - the only real discomfort of my pregnancy since about a month of morning sickness during the first trimester. It's uncomfortable to write when my hands are at their worst, and I have no manual dexterity anymore because of it. I had a minor meltdown when I spilled a huge pile of nails onto the carpet the other day while hubby and I were doing some last-minute nursery decorating - how would I ever pick them all up?!! Luckily, my husband, with his deft, non-pregnant hands, stepped in and saved me!

A mom blogger I enjoy reading speculated that this kind of thing is perhaps evolution's way of making women not grieve the end of pregnancy and making them eager to labor. Whether this phenomenon is evolution's handiwork or not, late pregnancy definitely has this effect - I'm ready to meet this baby in some more meaningful way than through his funny little squirms and kicks to my belly, and I'm so ready not to be pregnant any more! Bring on the labor! My husband and I have just finished with birth classes, so I suppose we're as ready as we'll ever be. Let's get this started, kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment