Sunday, March 6, 2011

Pregnancy + Furniture Assembly Marathon = Bad Idea

Hubby and I spent much of last weekend putting together furniture - we're still getting set up in our new place. That meant I spent many hours of the weekend hunched over partially-assembled Ikea bookshelves resting on the floor.

Bad. Idea.

I have a pretty strong back - I like to lift weights and was doing stiff-legged deadlifts as well as core exercises like the plank until recently, when I haven't had much workout time. Nonetheless, by Monday morning, my back was painfully objecting to me having spent so much time hunched over while hauling around almost 30 extra pounds of belly. It was pretty excruciating and rather comically disabling. I've just now recovered enough such that I can twist slightly to look over my shoulder while merging into traffic without my back muscles twinging violently. The takeaway tip from all of this, which is perhaps obvious to most sane people: don't take up furniture assembly as a hobby come third trimester. (Or if you must, at least make sure you don't have crappy furniture assembly posture like I did.) I'll definitely keep this in mind when some of our nursery furniture arrives this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment